North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE®)
The National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) is offered during 2 windows anually, and is a requirement for North Dakota state licensure. A two week examination window is offered in April and a 4 week examination window is offered in November/December.
- November 13-December 14, 2014. The November/December NAVLE application deadline is August 1, 2014.
If you want to be approved by North Dakota to take the NAVLE, you must submit 2 applications through the National Board of Veterianry Medical Examiners website at www.nbvme.org.
- Application 1 - NBVME NAVLE application
You must submit an application directly to the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (NBVME) and pay the corresponding $590 fee. The deadline for receipt of application in the NBVME office is August 1 for the November-December NAVLE, and January 3 for the April NAVLE. There are no late applications accepted. Please see the NAVLE section of the NBVME website for additional information.
- Application 2 - North Dakota NAVLE application
You must submit the North Dakota NAVLE application. This can be done at the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners website at www.nbvme.org If you are a senior student, you need to have a letter sent from the dean inidcating your estimated graduation date, or send an official copy of your transcripts to the NBVME office. The $50.00 application fee must be paid via the NBVME website and paid by credit card. The deadline for receipt of applicationst be be to be approved by the North Dakota Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners office is August 1 for the November-December NAVLE, and January 3 for the April NAVLE.
WHO IS ELEGIBLE?
Those eligible to apply for the NAVLE include:
- Graduates of schools accredited by the Council on Education of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).
- Senior students at AVMA-accredited schools who have an expected graduation date no later than ten months from the last date of the applicable testing window.
- Graduates of schools not accredited by the AVMA who are enrolled in or hold certificates issued by the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG), or the Program for the Assessment of Veterinary Education Equivalence (PAVE). Candidates who are enrolled in ECFVG or PAVE must have completed the Step 3 examination requirement of the respective certification program before they may be approved by a licensing board to take the NAVLE.
- Senior students at schools not accredited by the AVMA who are enrolled in the ECFVG or PAVE, and have completed their program's Step 3 examination.
NAVLE SCHEDULING AND ADMISSION PERMITS
Candidates who meet the NAVLE application and eligibility requirements, and who are approved by the North Dakota Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners to take the examination for a specified NAVLE testing window, will be issued a NAVLE Scheduling and Admission Permit by the NBVME approximately 45 days prior to the opening of the testing window. The NBVME will send approved NAVLE candidates an e-mail message with instructions on how to access, download and print their individual permit online. Candidates must have the information on their permit in order to schedule their testing appointment through Prometric Testing Centers.
NAVLE SCORE REPORTS AND SCORE TRANSFERS
Your initial NAVLE score will be reported to the North Dakota Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners, at no additional cost to you. The NDBVME is responsible for providing your score report to you. Scores for the November-December testing window are reported in late January, and scores for the April testing window are reported in mid-May.
If you need to transfer your NAVLE score to additional licensing boards, those requests are processed by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) Veterinary Information Verifying Agency (VIVA). Score transfer requests can be processed online through the VIVA link on the AAVSB website. The VIVA office can also be contacted by telephone toll free at 877-698-VIVA; or by e-mail at email@example.com.